rich

How To Be Rich is a book based on a sermon series by Andy Stanley, the founder and pastor of North Point Ministries in Atlanta Georgia.

The book is quite short, only 135 pages (not including the dvd study guide), and is a very quick read. That being said, even though the book is not all that long, it is full of challenging and inspiring truth.

When I first saw the title of the book I was a little put off and surprised that Stanley would write a book about bettering yourself financially, but thankfully this is not a book about God “blessing” us with more money. The book is based on the passage 1 Timothy 6:18 which says: “Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.” The premise is that chances are if you are living in North America you are already rich (from a global perspective), so it’s not about becoming rich financially, but rather honoring God with the wealth we already have, being rich in good deeds and generosity.

Here are a few great quotes from the book:

“We possess more than most people around the world and throughout history could ever dream about. We have everything we need. But we lose sight of what we need it for” (p. 67).

“…it takes initiative to become and remain aware of what other people don’t have but should have” (p. 102).

“Even if you give 10 percent faithfully, it doesn’t mean you’ll come away with the right perspective about the other 90 percent” (p. 114).

I would highly recommend this book. I found How To Be Rich to be a challenging read as I consider all that I have (on loan from God), and what I do with (manage) what is His. This is the kind of book we as Christians don’t want to read because it makes us feel uncomfortable, but we absolutely should read it. This would be a great book for a whole church to read, a small group study, a Christian finance class, pre-marital counseling material, supplemental material for a discipleship group, or simply for personal study.

I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s